Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Customer Service Blunders & Solutions Part 2: A Deal is a Deal!

When somebody buys an electric/electronic item in a retail store, they are often given the standard 'one year parts and labour' warranty deal, provided they bring in the item before the expiry date stated on the invoice. This is what the customer is told, in good faith, by the sales person: "If it stops working and it is the fault of the equipment, bring it back within one year and we will send it to the manufacturer, who will fix it or replace it for you."

"Within one year" as measured by the date of purchase, right? Now, I know that a lot us wait until the last second before getting around to doing something with a time limit, however, a deal is a deal, no?

The Problem
A customer came in one day with a guitar that malfunctioned and there was one week left on the warranty. The manager on duty told the customer that they had waited too long and there was nothing he could do for them because it would take a few days to ship it out and perhaps a few weeks to get it back. The customer proved that there was still time left as stated on the original invoice. The manager said, and I quote: "Sorry!" and walked away.

It appeared as if the manager just did not want to be bothered and that the guitar should have, perhaps, failed a few weeks before the warranty expired, not just 'the week before'.

I was coding merchandise as I watched this whole situation evolve and, after the manager left the area, I told the customer to hang on because I would at least try to get it fixed or replaced under warranty. I would like to say that it was not my department, but when it comes to customer service, there really is no such thing. If I really could not help him, I would have found somebody who could - because it is everybody's department to do what is necessary to keep the customer happy and maintain the relationship which has already been developed.

I phoned up the guitar company and asked if I could get an RA number (return authorization) for a warranty repair, copied the invoice, packed up the guitar and sent it back. A couple of weeks later, the guitar came back fixed, I called the customer and he came to get it. I did this for one reason - a deal is a deal. He didn't pay a dime for anything and he was very happy that he wasn't stuck with a broken guitar that he'd have to shell out more money for.

What's the worst that could have happened? The company could have returned the guitar unfixed and said: "Sorry! Can't help you." Also, the manager could have disciplined me for 'insubordination' or he could have even fired me. But I was willing to take that chance.

The Solution
Anybody can pick up a phone and at least 'ask' about a warranty situation, even if it is 'not their department'. In my view, anybody who is not busy in a retail environment is in whatever department that needs help the most.

Clear directives and positive staff meetings can emphasize the importance of customer service. After all, if nobody is buying, who is paying us?

Treat customers right, because when we're not selling, we're buying and we can choose to buy from whoever we want!

- Buck Moore

No comments: