Thursday, August 27, 2009

Customer Service Blunders & Solutions Part 1: Power Tripping

Achieving excellent customer service every time appears next to impossible because emotional human beings are involved and we can't always fake a reaction when feelings get in the way. But, if we practiced enough, we could definitely raise the bar and keep it raised.

I once worked as a driver for a small printing company and I didn't really like doing it, but I made a point to be the best representative possible when it came to customer service. The drivers saw many of the customers in the field because the company serviced quite a few architectural firms and graphic designers who couldn't keep running to a shop every time they needed something done. So, with the larger companies, there was always a chance we would pick-up the job, drive away and get called right back to pick up a job from someone in a different department of that company.

If we were less than half way back to the shop, we'd turn around and go back when we got paged (a code number would appear which told us a certain company needed a pick-up). Frequently, we'd also call in to double check when we got paged and let them know if we had rushes on us, then let the dispatcher decide where to send us.

The Problem - A Power Trip
One day I phoned in and the dispatcher told me that he got a call from the place I was just at, but to forget about them because, as he said: "They had their chance and now they can wait." I told him that I wasn't too far away and I could just go back and get the job so we could avoid wasting time with another full trip. He said: "No! Come back and let them wait! They do this to us all the time!"

I ignored the dispatcher and went back to pick up the job because, in my mind, they were the customer - the reason why we were all working in the first place. When I finally made it back to the shop, the dispatcher got angry at me for not following his orders and I told him that it was a big account and we couldn't expect a busy firm to call all departments to see if the printing company pick-ups can all be coordinated to please us. Then, I reminded him of who the customer was.

Was I worried about my 'job'? No! My integrity is more important than any job and if a bully-dispatcher cannot recognize that, they should be worried about their job. If everybody listened to him, he may have one day lost the account because of his little power trips.


The Solution - Rational Judgments by Front-line Representatives and Clear Directives
It's up to the front line worker (or 'representative') to assess any situation involving customer service, productivity and safety. They must show a leadership role even if they are the newest employee, especially when a person in a superior role stops making sense.

This is not to say they should be credited for 'failing to carry out direct orders', but they should be able to make common sense decisions based upon the needs of the customers and recognize when a superior is making a questionable decision. We've all had to do a Captain Kirk occasionally, but for the purpose of benefiting all involved, not for personal ego trips.

Having a clear set of directives is essential for a company to avoid common customer service blunders and when that breaks down, companies should have meetings and also consider sending problem employees to seminars on 'Common Sense for Customer Service'. It would be for the benefit of the company and for the livelihood of the staff.

- Buck Moore

No comments: