Thursday, August 27, 2009

Stuck in a Rut at Work? Own It, then Change It!

Everybody seems to experience a low point at work, whether they chose their career or fell into it. Back in the 1990's, I used to hang onto Sunday nights as tightly as possible and wish that the clock would just slow down so I could savor every last moment before facing Monday morning. Then Monday morning came and I was off to the rat race.


I didn't like what I was doing but I needed the work, so I showed up every day. Eventually, I realized the the future of the position would end up being the 'same old thing' every day and I decided to leave. I actually knew I was going to leave within a couple of years, but I had to wait for the right time - when it felt right, that is.

I began to get cards printed up for cheap because I worked for a printing company and because I was listening to inspirational and entrepreneurial materials as I drove around all day. I would hand out cards when I ran into potential leads and I also dressed up more than needed because I wanted to own the position.

Changing the way I did things and listening to tapes put me in a state of mind that if I was going to drive, I would be the best I could partly to represent the company, but mostly to represent myself. The changes also kept me happy there until the bug to leave finally bit hard enough. Almost two years later, it did. There was nothing that could keep me there any longer and I began a new, exciting career.

No comments: