Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Stepping Outside (Yourself, That Is)

I have always believed that if a person could see the way they acted from another perspective, they would probably modify their behavior based on 'what others might see'. But, because we can't see ourselves from that view, we are often unaware of what we look like in front of others.

On a day to day basis, this might not be a big deal, but when people start treating each other poorly, it is a big deal, especially in a work environment where co-workers are supposed to be allies, not enemies. It's so easy to see how productivity can be compromised when people don't get along.

Just last week, I was at a conference about 'managing change' in the public sector. One of the remarks made by the chairperson of the event was that if a person is aware of their behaviors, they are more likely to change them. She is a very well educated professional with amazing credentials and I just felt good that I'm not the only one who believes in that. So, why do people 'lose it' on others that they work with?

I am a firm believer in seeing myself as others may see me and also a firm believer in forward thinking, while limiting my impulsiveness. I can honestly say that the limiting of impulsive behavior is a skill just like anything else and that is why some people just 'don't have it'.

With reminders, positive meetings and workshops, managers and supervisors (and even employees) can learn how to use these two skills to benefit their companies and staff.

Two more tidbits I walked away with from that event:

"Question tradition. Why keep doing something just because it's always been done that way?"
"Front line managers are the key to sustainability (of a company or organization)"

- Buck Moore

No comments: