Friday, April 17, 2009

The Most Inspirational Books (& tapes) I Have Ever Read (or Heard)

Finding inspiration to do something you've always wanted to do is quite easy. It can come from a good book, a bad movie, a tag-line on public transit advertising or even from innocent eavesdropping when people talk too loud in public.

When I needed a life change that included starting a better career, I gathered as much inspirational material as possible from my own collection, from the collection of others and from bookstores. Of course, these kinds of materials are generally in the 'self help' section, a section of a store that some people laugh at. I'm not crazy about the labeling either, but then I think that those who don't feel they need the help don't have to worry about what others are looking for, anyway, so I buy my material based on what I need.

Under the category of 'Inspirational Materials', I highly recommend the following for anybody who needs a change in life and career and are considering being self employed, either part time or full time:

Books and tapes I own or have owned:
"Think and Grow Rich" - by Napoleon Hill
"Do What You Love, The Money Will Follow" - by Marsha Sinetar
"The Entrepreneur's Audio Handbook" (tape) - by Dr. Richard Buskirk and Mack Davis
"The Science of Getting Rich" (tape)
- read by Bob Proctor (from the book by Wallace D Wattles)

Quotes to memorize:
"Objections are those frightful things we see when we take our eyes off our goals." - anonymous

"Failure is the opportunity to more intelligently begin again." - Henry Ford

"You are the only problem you will ever have and you are the only solution. Change is inevitable, personal growth is always a personal decision." - Bob Proctor

"Develop success from failures. Discouragement and failure are two of the surest stepping stones to success." - Dale Carnegie

Definitions:
"Perseverance - to persist in a state, enterprise or undertaking in spite of counter-influence, opposition or discouragement."

Books I have on my list:
"Personal Balance Sheet - A Practical Career Planning Guide" - by Randall M. Craig (I have seen him speak in person and he has some great ideas in his message, so I got the book and have read much of it so far - there is a lot of information inside)

"It's Not About the Money" - by Bob Proctor (seriously, this guy is great. Sure, I liked the famous movie, which I won't mention here because it has too much publicity anyway, but he always says some very inspiring stuff.)

Many of these inspirational people have one core message about what success means and even though the word 'rich' comes into play, it does not necessarily always refer to chasing the money. The message is simple - do what you are passionate about for your life's work and everything else will fall into place. If you do the work, it'll happen and there's nothing 'get rich quick' about it. That's a fallacy. It's about persevering, but intelligently.

- Buck Moore

No comments: