Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Hybrid Careers Have No Titles

When people ask me what I do, I don't have a simple answer. Besides trying to take over the world, I manage several projects including digital media content creation, public speaking, audiovisual services, writing and instructing. I can't really say I am a '_____' or a '_____' because definitive titles are too constricting and don't match my personality or work beliefs.

As a result of this style of working, I am always going back and forth between work locations, taking mid-day meetings here and there, preparing my speeches and presentations, renting cars and there was a time period when I was flying away six times a year. I don't like to be in one location for too long.

My career as a part time career college instructor has been going for several years, my freelance business activities have been steady for several more and my public speaking activities have been developing for some time now. I chose the lifestyle of a hybrid career and I like it, but it doesn't come without it's issues.

Pros of my hybrid career
- Free time! I have lots of free time to work on promotional materials and write for my webpages and upcoming books.
- I get paid and I charge for services.
- There is not a lot of formal 'bossing' (seen as an expert /professional).
- I can say no to work and get (or refer) someone else.
- Promotional materials and computer gear mean tax advantages.
- I get to work with all sorts of equipment, old and new - and learn new technologies.
- I can meet a lot of people.
- I am exposed to many industries.
- I get to learn for free.
- I can hire freelancers.

Cons of my hybrid career
- No work, no pay!
- No sick days.
- No employee benefits.
- Sink or swim - I have to be a step ahead to plan paydays.
- I sometimes have to chase people down for money.
- Bill-paying can become a nightmarish game, if you let it.
- Some days are really, really, really long.
- I HAVE to do a great job, or someone else will.
- It's much easier for a company to stop calling you than to fire you!
- If I DO get a contract, I must fulfill your obligations.
- I can have four deadlines at once.
- I can't be in two places at once, so I have to pay freelancers sometimes.
- I have to get up VERY early, sometimes.
- I might not see the sun and occassionally have irregular sleep patterns.

It may look a little heavy on the 'con' list, but I'm not comparing exact numbers of pros and cons. If you ask: "Would you change anything if you could?" I'd say: "Of course...and I often do." It's a matter of career evolution in order to produce my life's work.

No comments: