Thursday, July 30, 2009

Where are the opportunities?

Way back in the early/mid 1990's, I had a roommate who didn't like going to work. He started to get up later every day and asked: "What's the point?" on a daily basis. I wasn't crazy about my employer, but I still went in every day because I knew there were better things in my future (and I had to eat and pay rent!).

My roommate inspired me in a peculiar way. I was over at a friend's place discussing him and, as I looked out from my friend's balcony over the corner of Spadina and Bloor (downtown Toronto, Canada), my eyes bounced around at virtually every object I saw. I saw bicycles, bike tires, cars, buildings, parks, people, shoes, a grocery store, glass, grass, concrete and I could imagine all the things related to those objects that I could not physically see. Those objects were no longer objects to me; they were opportunities.

That day, I saw countless industries, including those which would stay around forever, probably, like shoes, lightbulbs and brake pads. My friend said: "Yeah, but maybe he doesn't want to sell lightbulbs or brake pads." I made my point clear by telling him that those things were only a starting point - they were leads.

Looking out and 'seeing' things was the most important thing for my roomate to do. I believed he should look up from the direction in which he was walking and not simply stare two feet in front of him and moan about it. Yes, he inspired me that day; from his negativity, I became invigorated.

- B. Moore

No comments: