Tuesday, March 10, 2009

How to be a Great Boss

The Problem - Poor People Skills
People skills are not hard to learn, but reminders are definitely needed. In fact, reminders are needed for almost anybody and anything in a fast-paced working world. Managers and supervisors are especially susceptible to forgetting how to treat people well because they usually have a lot more at stake than their employees, but that just means they have to work harder at reminding themselves how to do it.

Bosses who micromanage need to learn the difference between good and bad micromanagement. They should pay attention to every detail but trust others to complete the tasks. If a person is new, a certain level of micromanagement may be needed to see that the new person understands a process but only until then, while periodically checking the process.

I trust my gut feelings and when I sense a potential problem, I must step in or the quality will suffer. But, I always explain fully why I am stepping in and because I have good people skills, they don't feel that I am being too 'in their face' about it. Then, when I feel they've got the process down, I leave them alone and let them check in when necessary.

Generally, I see poor communication as the reason people feel they are being micromanaged. The last thing a boss wants is for their staff to feel uncomfortable when they are around because they will not want to speak freely and so much can be missed out on.

The Solution - Training and Reminding (and a Pressure Valve)
Like a lot of advice, you have to hear it from another person, if only to reinforce what you already suspect. I practice a skill that lets me see myself from the outside (no, it has nothing to do with mirrors). It is a kind of visualization technique that has helped me for many years. I imagine what my actions look from
the point of view of somebody else before I act. It just takes a moment, but it really helps me think ahead.

When things get really busy, pre-visualization can be hard to do, because there is not a lot of time to do it. But, because I have practiced it for so long, it became second nature for me. When time is short, I always remember the concept of grace under pressure and it gets me through.

What I suggest to those who need better management skills is to print out a business card from a printer that says 'grace under pressure' or something similar and laminate it, then keep it in your pocket. If you eventually feel like you are just bottling things up inside, take up an activity that allows you to let it out once in a while. For me, that's speaking in public or performing on stage. I also make short films and write a lot - including screenplays, comedy ideas and a book about all of this (available in late 2009).

Take-away Points:
1) People Skills Training is a must for managers and supervisors who need it.
2) Micromanagement has become a dirty word - proper communication will help clean it.
3) Keep your staff comfortable enough to speak freely, but respectfully.
4) Look at your actions from someone else's eyes before you act.
5) Take up an activity not related to your profession - something creative like writing, drawing, painting, music, etc.

Oh, and get to know your staff, because there are no little people. Also, you may choose to hire a consultant to boost morale or have a staff meeting to let them better understand your point of view.

Have a great week!

- Buck Moore

No comments: